Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Chicks dig scars....

This morning around 930am, I was on the phone with Clint getting the low-down on what was happening in Alabama when Owen's daycare called. I switched over knowing that what they had to tell me was probably not good. I initially thought "Oh dear, Owen has spiked a fever" (something we have not had since June!). I can actually say that I WISH they had told me Owen had a fever. Owen had fallen in the toddler room and hit his head on a small wooden shelf. Christy (the daycare director) told me that Owen cut is head in two places and that they were bad enough that she wanted me to come take a look and decide what to do (take him home, leave him there, take him to the ER, etc.). I could hear Owen screaming in the background (yes...it is true...you know your child's cry from anywhere!). My heart ached for him already. I told Christy that I would be there as soon as possible. I left the hotel and got some encouraging words from Daddy and Gram on my way to daycare. Thanks to you both!

I got to daycare, promising myself to stay strong and act tough for Owen....but as soon as I saw him, I lost it. He was literally a bloody mess. His face was red from crying and from the blood. His tears were not making things better. Owen, as Christy had told me on the phone, had two cuts on his face. One right between his eyes, and one above his left eye. We cleaned him up the best we could one final time before getting in the car. Owen screamed the whole way to the doctor. Once at the doctor, we were seen almost immediately. Unfortunately, Dr Falik said that the cuts looked too deep for him to fix in his office. So, he suggested we go across the street to the ER. Bonita, Falik's nurse, took us over there. Thankfully, Owen had started to calm down. At the ER, we were seen almost immediately. With a few brief pauses at all the steps (paperwork, vitals, awaiting the dr, etc.), we were introduced to the doctor who was going to fix Owen up. She said that although the cuts were deep, they were straight so he was a good candidate for glue. After getting some "reinforcements" (read: big dude to hold Owen down), the doctor made quick work getting Owen cleaned up and his cuts glued shut. We were sent home with instructions to monitor him this afternoon for any indications of a more serious head injury.

We stopped at Chick-Fil-A on the way home to get some lunch. Owen had his first kids meal today. Definitely won't be a habit....but it seemed like the right thing to do! Owen had a great lunch and then slept for 3 hours. After getting up, Owen was a bit sad. I am sure he had a headache...but nothing that a few goldfish and some apple juice didn't cure! Owen ran an errand with me after that and instead of everyone saying "WOW....what a CUTE little guy" or "He is some handsome!"...they said "Oh my...what happened to you?" or "What did you do to yourself? Poor baby".

Pics to follow. I won't have the cable to get them off my camera until the moving truck arrives.

Quote of the day:
"Don't worry sweetie (Mommy)....Chicks dig scars" - Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment